Choquequirao trek is one of the most wonderful routes in Cusco! Located in a cloud forest, at a dramatic height of 1,150 meters (3,771 feet) above the Apurimac River, and surrounded by a fascinating landscape created by the Vilcabamba mountain range, Choquekirao Peru has everything to offer trek lovers. It is a challenging but amazing experience to walk to the depths of the Apurimac Canyon and then to the “cradle of gold” a demanding hike but worth visiting.
Detail of the Walk:
Distance: 39 miles
Duration: 4 days / 3 nights.
Elevation Gain: 1500m / 4920ft.
Seasons: from March 1 to December.
Distance from Cusco: 4.5 hours
Nearby town: Cachora
Highlights: Dry Andean valley, cloud forests, views of the Apurimac canyon, the Vilcabamba mountain range, scenic trail, cactus area, local towns Fauna: horses, Andean foxes and vizcachas, spectacled bear. Birds: Andean Condor, Mitrated Parrot, Bearded Mountain Bear, Giant Hummingbird, Peregrin.
Activities: hiking trail, visits to archaeological sites, experiential tourism, visits to nature and the Andean community.
- Bilingual guide.
- Assistant guide (groups of 9 or more people).
- Pick up from the hotel.
- Return transportation.
- Water (not included for the first 4 hours of the trek, we will provide you with boiled water to drink during the rest of the trek).
- Inca Choquequirao site tickets.
- 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 snacks, 3 dinners and various snacks to eat throughout the day. (Breakfast on day 1 and lunch on day 4 in Aguas Calientes are not included).
- Dining tent with tables and chairs.
- Tent for 2 people.
- Porters (to carry cooking and camping equipment).
- Bus trip from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes.
- Oxygen bottle
- First aid kit.
- Vegetarian food on request at no additional cost!
5:00 in the morning
By bus on a 4-hour bus ride to the town of Cachora, where our trek will begin.
Highlight of the day:
On this day we met our rider and other staff members. We will start our trek in Cachora 2950m / 9678ft, a town along the edge of the Apurimac canyon and we will follow the trail, enjoying the spectacular landscapes that nature offers us and a variety of plant and animal life until we reach our camp in Santa Rosa. 1650m / 5413ft.
Breakfast on the way to Cachora (not included). Lunch during the trek and dinner at our camp.
Camping in tents at a campground in Santa Rosa. The temperature at night is usually around 15º.
It is a challenging but surprising experience to walk to the depths of the Apurimac Canyon and then climb to the top of the canyon, where we will observe the Inca city. The altitude change for the day from Cachora 2950m / 9678ft – Santa Rosa 1650m / 5413ft.
5:00 in the morning.
Hike all day.
Highlight of the day:
A steep and difficult ascent from our camp to the highest point Maranpata 3150m/10334ft. After this, we will walk through a thick cloud forest to the Inca site of Choquekirao, then we will have time to relax and enjoy the archaeological zone, plants, animals (hopefully condors) and views of nearby canyons and snow-capped mountains Choquetacarpo 5910m / 19389ft. We will camp at the Choquekiraw Inca site 3033m/9950ft.
Breakfast at the camp, lunch on the hike and dinner at the camp at night.
Camping in Choquequirao 3033m / 9950ft. Temperature around 9ºC / 48°F.
After arriving at our destination in Choquequirao, we will have lunch and have a well-deserved rest before starting our first 2-hour visit to Choquequirao, which is very close to the camp.
- Original passport (International Student Card (ISIC))
- Travel insurance is essential
- Sleeping bag (not included).
- Walking boots.
- A warm jacket
- Waterproof jacket / rain poncho
- Hat and gloves
- Comfortable pants
- Sun hat
- Sun protection (factor 35 recommended)
- Insect repellent
- Water (only for the 4 hours)
- Personal medication
- Camera / Camcorder
- Headlamp (they are useful)
Optional items to bring:
- Cane (with rubber tip)
- Extra money
- Swimsuit (for hot springs in Conoc)
Does not include:
Optional services not included:
- Sleeping bag (4 seasons) $40
- Cane x 2 (single) $20
- Inflatable mattress $35
- Camping pillow (rest) $20
- Rent our Comfort Packages (all of the above items) for only $100
- Complete porter (up to 14 kg or 30 pounds. You can share between 2 people) $ 180
- Half porter (up to 7 kg or 15 lbs. Cannot be shared) $100
- If you need an extra porter or half porter, please let us know when you complete the booking form.
- Single store supplement $55
- Huayna Picchu Mountain $90
- Machu Picchu Mountain $90
- Price per person: 2-3 hikers: $750 per person
- 4 or more: $600 per person